Tax exemptions for Senior home owners in Contra Costa County

Peter Duncan has sent out some great information concerning: TAX REDUCTION MAY BE POSSIBLE IF YOU ARE OVER 65 AND OWN YOUR OWN HOME. He writes:

You may ask for exemption from various parcel taxes on the following list which is from the County Tax Collector’s website at:

(Note that the Tax Collector regards these as “levies” not taxes!)

Levies Offering Exemptions for Seniors 65+

2009-2010 EXEMPTIONS

Code Description Phone Reduction Apply By Income
CL W. Contra Costa Scls Parcel Tax (800) 273-5167 100% Annually, 7/10 NA
CO Martinez USD Parcel Tax (925) 335-5908 100% Annually, 7/12 NA
EI Mt Diablo Mello Roos (925) 682-8000 x4004 100% 1X, 3/1-6/1* NA
GZ Pittsburg USD Parcel Tax2 (925) 472-2300 x2306 100% 1X, 5/1 NA
H3 Orinda USD 2009-B (925) 258-6210 100% Annually, 6/15 NA
HO Walnut Creek Schools (925) 944-6850 x103 100% 1X 5/1* Low
IB Lafayette Parcel Tax (925) 927-3505 100% Annually,1/1-6/25 NA
IC Moraga School District (925) 377-4108 100% Annually, 6/30 Low
JF Acalanes School (925) 942-9608 100% 1X 5/1* NA
JI Orinda Union SD (925) 258-6210 100% Annually 6/15 Low
NP Sam Ramon Valley Scls 2009-c (925) 552-2905 100%2 1X 5/31* NA
KA EBRPD: L&L District (510) 544-2424 50% Annually, 7/14 Low
NT EBRPD: Measure CC-Zone 1 (510) 544-2424 50% July 13 low

*Must reapply if move to new location.


There is NO SENIOR EXEMPTION ON ANY G.O.BOND – (Ad Valorem Assessment)

The way it works is that one looks at one’s tax bill at the “levies” at the left of the page. If the code letters in the table above match what you have on your tax bill, call the phone number listed and ask them to send you the form to apply for a “Senior Citizen Parcel tax Reduction Claim”. Or you can get the forms off the web, with knowledge and luck.

Print Friendly
Share the joy


  1. Richard Lilley says

    I am a homeowner in Concord, a veteran, and just turned 65 years of age. Do I have any tax exeptions or reductions to which I’m entitled?

    ~ EDITOR REPLIES — Call the County Assessor Office, at (925) 313-7400, and ask about the tax savings programs for Seniors listed on the Assessor’s site.

  2. Richard S. Colman says

    An angry Ms. Riki Sorenson, president of the Orinda Union School District, told me last year that Orinda’s senior citizens have so much money that they do not need a property-tax exemption. She said the Aclanes Union High School District offers a senior -citizen exemption only becuase Rossmoor is in the Acalanes district. Currently, to qualify for a senior exemption in Orinda, a family of one to four people must have an annual income of less than $43,000 per year.

    Richard S. Colman
    Orinda, CA
    Dec. 9, 2009